Sponsor a Horse
We now offer the general public an opportunity to sponsor a program horse for $200 a month. This is a great way to support a favorite program horse or can be a thoughtful present for a wedding, birthday, etc. In return for your donation, you will now have the opportunity to meet your program horses and will receive a 4×6 framed portrait of him or her.
Where did we get our monthly number of $200?
When people ask about our monthly expenses related to the program horses, they often think that our cost is a water bill, some hay, and sporadic vets bills. In reality, horses require extensive daily care. Each month we spend about $1,950, or $195.00 per horse.
In Watkinsville, the average facility that provides the necessary services (full stall board and vet care) would charge upwards of $600 or more per horse each month. We work hard to streamline our costs without compromising care.
Where does $1,950 go each month?
- Grain: Some of our horses are older or have an active metabolism, they require grain to provide additional concentrated calories.
- Hay: Horses are foragers by nature and will graze for 17 hours each day. This means the bulk of their diet should come from long-stem grass. Hay (dried grass) is supplemented during winter months or when our horses come inside to escape the elements. Keeping hay in front of our horses maintains weight and keeps their stomach acid levels stable.
- Shavings: Wood shavings are used in every stall. They absorb waste from the horse and provide a clean, soft place to sleep. Each day we remove dirty shavings and replace them with clean shavings. This encourages our horses to lay down to rest and creates a healthy environment; breathing ammonia fumes from urine can wreck havoc on the lungs of horses.
- Vet: We joke that the vet is someone we hope we rarely have to see, but we are so thankful when she arrives. On top of routine care and unexpected injuries, our vet also helps us provide joint maintenance through injections. While costly, we do not feel it is right for our amazing horses to help us if they are not feeling their best.
- Expenses: We believe in being good stewards of the resources given. However, eventually things wear out or break. Each month we have a few random expenses come up. We are moving towards putting these items on our Amazon wish list if they do not need to be replaced immediately.
- Water, Electric, and Insurance